Proudly serving the Salem, Oregon community, our Methadone clinic provides adults struggling with addiction the ability to recover from heroin, oxycodone, Percocet, and other opiates.
Benefits of Individual Therapy for Opioid Abuse
Those who are battling addictions to opioids must overcome more than the physical dependence upon their substance of choice. Because the complexities of addiction extend beyond the act of consuming a substance, treatment must be received for the underlying factors that contributed to the development of an addiction in the first place. Patients who are struggling with addictions to opioids must obtain treatment that utilizes therapeutic interventions in order to successfully progress towards lasting recovery. When patients make the decision to take part in individual therapy, for example, they are able to work one-on-one with a highly qualified counselor to discuss any underlying emotional or psychological contributors that have otherwise prevented recovery in the past. The following often occur during individual therapy sessions and can benefit patients during the therapeutic process:
- Identifying past traumatic events that may have contributed to an individual turning to opioid use in the first place
- Developing new techniques for how to cope with stressful situations that do not involve the use of opioids or other substances
- Managing setbacks and achievements appropriately throughout the course of treatment and beyond
- Creating new plans for avoiding and handling situations in which drug use may be available and tempting
- Developing new personal goals for both the present and future
Once patients understand the emotions and behaviors that may have led them to the use of substances in the first place, they are able to develop a plan for a future that is free from the dangers of addiction. Individual therapy provides patients with the tools necessary to live substance-free futures. In addition, patients who partake in individual therapy have reported experiencing the following:
- An increased sense of self-confidence
- An improvement in their self-esteem
- A reduction in their stress levels
- An improved sense of self-awareness
Building a Foundation for Opioid Abuse Recovery
The benefits associated with the use of individual therapy can aid patients in positively progressing in their treatment. Salem Comprehensive Treatment Center believes that incorporating individual therapy into a patient’s plan of treatment is necessary in order to help men and women break free from the chains of addiction. By allowing patients a safe environment in which to openly process their emotions, they are able to overcome the emotional and psychological turmoil that could otherwise prevent them from achieving their treatment goals. These sessions also provide patients with the opportunity to work through any issues that may arise during the course of their treatment.
If you or someone you care for would like to learn more about individual therapy as well as the other treatment options that we offer, please contact the intake team at Salem Comprehensive Treatment Center today. We are here to help.